Those guy started of there idea of a service with a alternative key-value cache based on CICS, VSAM and z/OS facilities. This was the beginning of a long travel, and they are currently running a self service for different z/OS system configuration and management things. And their starting point was the best you can have: make the live easier for you and the others.
Beside third party services, like MQ configuration for development purposes or RACF thing, they started with something else.. basically they implemented three "products", which they offer to their internal customers (developers) as REST-ful services:
They started the story with zECS, which is mostly a cache storage implementation to store session (or other short living) information outside the running application server. These information need to be gathered fast and high available. Based on the services from the platform, they achieved high throughput rates.
Moving forward to fulfill developer needs, they implemented their own Key-Value store called zFAM. They can store binary information up to 1GB and do not rely on DB2, but are using VSAM.
zUID is the latest, but smaller, project, to offer sort of standardized 32bit UIDs, which are unique.
At the point where I was asking myself, why they do not publish this as a products, they revealed, that it is available to the public via Walmart's Github account- for free in terms of a APACHE2 License.
Currently, there are installation REXX provided for some of the code. Randy talked about moving to a proper git folder structure in the long term, because git is becoming more and more available on z/OS as well... It totally looks very interesting and it is worth a look. It gives you an idea what is possible with exploiting the z/OS services and OS features using assembler.
I recently encountered a problem building the old version of OpenWrt called "AttitudeAdjustement" on my ArchLinux machine. As ArchLinux is using the most recent sources, a upstream patch landed, which changes the default behaviour of the tool called "grep".
The same propblem seems to occur on the "oldpackages" repository of BreakingBarrier as well, so that small fix below should work there, too.
Now, it throws a message on Binary files instead of parsing it somehow, which results in the following problem:
That breaks the OpenWrt Buildchain. I found the solution on the GNU mailing list: In the console you are running, change the LC_ALL setting and export it. That makes the grep tool work like before the change:
After that, you can work like normal:
Remember to rerun the export when you continue working after closing the terminal window...
In a short discussion on the IRC a lot of interest in the topic 'mainframe' came up. So, I will talk about is Hacker meets Mainframe. The plan is to do a brief overview of the history, architecture of the mainframe and why it is still a topic which should interest a normal linux-hacker.
I'm looking forward to give the two session and, of course, to see you!
I think, I'm ready for my winter vacation. During the last weeks my ordered hardware arrived:
On the left side you can discover one of my two WRTnodes. I ordered two of them to see how nicely they can work as mesh nodes. On the right side you find the Indiegogo founded project named VoCore, which I mainly use for Piratebox applications.
While I'm fiddling around with the new hardware, I hope you all have a merry Christmas and a happy new year.